Saturday, December 25, 2010

Best Translation

I am spending Christmas in Hungary with my host family from when I was 18.  As someone who is currently abroad trying to speak German and now attempting to recall Hungarian while here for break I totally understand,  

Speaking another language is really really difficult.

That being said, my little host sister, who is learning English asked me about Pink's "Raise Your Glass" song.  

What does raise your glass mean?

You know.... like when I say cheers (said in Hungarian) and then you cheers, its the movement you know?

Blink blink

Well ok I lift my glass and like nod my head and say cheers, that is raising your glass.

Oh ok, so like (movement movement)?

Yeah, and so you know Pink is cheer(z?)ing people, because they are strange.

I understand!  I thought she was talking about glasses, like on your face.


Then we both glass(z?)ed each other.  I love learning.

1 comment: